Personal Budgets and Direct Payments

A personal budget is an amount of money identified by a local authority or an NHS body to deliver agreed provision. Its purpose is to give disabled children and young people and their families more choice and control over how their needs are met. A personal budget shows you what money is available to your child. You may be able to receive some or all of this money as a direct payment (cash payment) to buy and manage services yourself.

If your child has an EHC plan, then you have the right to request a Personal Budget. A Personal Budget allows you to control some of the money allocated to your child for the support set out in their EHC Plan. More information

If your child has been assessed as needing a social care service (e.g. short breaks), you have the right to request a direct payment instead. You can then use the money to make your own arrangements, for example by employing a carer/personal assistant to look after your disabled child in your home. To request a direct payment, speak to your social worker or contact the Children With Disabilities team.

If your child is eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare, they have the right to have a personal health budget. CCGs also have the power to offer personal health budgets to other groups of patients if they think they will benefit.

If you are a working parent of a disabled child or young person, you may be able to to get direct payments to cover the additionality element of childcare. Click here to download a leaflet about Direct Payments for childcare.

If you need help with recruiting a Personal Assistant (PA):

  • Disability Sheffield run a PA register. The website aims to bring together PAs looking for work, and people looking for PAs. For a small fee, you can search a database of PA profiles available for work in your area and post your own advert.
  • Sheffield’s Local Offer website also has several PA listings. To see them, enter “Personal Assistant” into the “Keyword(s)” box.
  • ibk initiatives can help you recruit, train and supervise PAs. They also offer payroll services.