Help with energy bills


If you are part of a low-income household and care for a young child or someone with a disability you may be entitled to a discount on your electricity bill through the Warm Home Discount Scheme. Unfortunately, not all energy suppliers take part in the scheme, and they all have different qualifying rules.

If you think you may qualify, contact your supplier and say you are asking about the Warm Home Discount. Or look on your supplier’s website and search for “Warm Home Discount”. Follow this link to see a list of the suppliers who are in the scheme. Claims should be made as early as possible. Suppliers have a fixed amount of money for this group and when that runs out, the supplier will close its scheme.

While you’re at it, ask your energy supplier about their Priority Services Register. You may be eligible for services including:

  • priority reconnection if your supply is interrupted and advance notice if they have to stop your supply;
  • alternative facilities for cooking and heating if your energy supply is interrupted;
  • free advice and information.

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits. Payments are made when your local temperature is either recorded as, or forecast to be, an average of zero degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days.

You may be entitled to a cold weather payment if you have a disabled child and get:

  • Income Support and income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA):
  • Universal Credit

If you are entitled to cold weather payments, you will automatically be sent a payment for each period of cold weather, but if you think you should receive one and you are not paid, you can make a written claim to your local benefit office.