Refresh of Post-16 Travel and Transport Policy
Sheffield City Council is refreshing its Post-16 Travel and Transport Policy, and would like to gain the views of people who might be affected by any changes. This includes young people, their parents/carers, schools, colleges, the voluntary, community and faith sector, and neighbouring local authorities.
Please note that this is for students who will be Y12 or above in September 2018. The Council will shortly also be asking for views on a refreshed Home to School Travel and Transport policy for school aged children and young people (5-16).
The draft Post-16 policy for the academic year 2018-19 has minimal changes from the 2017-18 policy, which are summarised below:
- A commitment has been made to consult with young people, parent / carers and other stakeholders each year.
- Clarification regarding courses outside Sheffield.
- Public transport options for Post-16 students travelling to neighbouring local authority areas have been added.
- Clarification for parent / carers of SEND students engaging with independent travel training regarding the contribution towards the cost of SEND transport.
- Clarification that where the contribution towards the cost of Post-16 SEND transport has not been made in full for the academic year 2017/18, then any request for transport for 2018/19 will only be considered if the outstanding amounts have been paid.
Parents / carers and schools are positively encouraged to involve young people who might be affected, where you feel it is appropriate to do so.
If you would like to highlight any issues or concerns in relation to this policy, please contact the Travel Assessment and Training Team no later than 23 May 2018 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: 0114 2053542).
Parents of current Y11 students using SEN transport: Please note that if your child uses the council’s transport service to access post-16 provision from September 2018, a contribution of £540 per year towards the overall cost will be required. Payment options will include £54/month (10 months), £180/term or an annual payment of £540. Monthly direct debits will also be available. Further information will be provided upon successful application for Post-16 Transport.