Our Peer Support Service is available to all parents of children and young people (0-25 years) with additional needs in Sheffield. A formal diagnosis is not required. All of our Peer Support Workers have lived experience of caring for a child with additional needs and a good understanding of local services.
The Peer Support Service provides:
- Information, advice, and signposting to relevant services
- Confidential one-to-one support via telephone, video call or face-to-face meetings in a community space (flexible appointment times)
- Information sessions about common issues
- Peer Support Groups where parents and carers can meet others who face similar challenges (see below)
Unfortunately, Peer Support Workers are not yet able to help parents complete paperwork, contact / make referrals to other services on their behalf or provide individual support in meetings. We may be able to offer these services at some point in the future.
If you would like a 1-1 appointment, please complete our request form. Alternatively, call our main number 0300 321 4721 and select option 1 for our Peer Support Service, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Peer Support Groups
These groups are run by our Peer Support Workers and offer a space where parents can come together to support each other and share their experiences. No need to book, just turn up! All parents are welcome, and everyone’s experience is considered equally important and valued.
Monthly Peer Support Groups:
- Tinsley Community Centre, Ingfield Ave, Tinsley, Sheffield S9 1WZ
All welcome. Meetings held on Thursdays: 7 September, 5 October, 2 November, all 10.30am-12pm
- Manor Community Nursery, 33 Vikinglea Rd, Sheffield S2 1BE
All welcome. Meetings held on Fridays: 29 September, 3 November, 24 November, all 9-11am
- Stocksbridge Children’s Centre, 648 Manchester Rd, Stocksbridge, Sheffield S36 1DY
All welcome. Meetings held on Wednesdays: 6 September, 4 October, 1 November, all 12.30-3.00pm
- Stephen Harrison Snooker Rooms, Leeds Road, Sheffield S9 3TY
For dads and male carers. Meetings held on Wednesdays: 16 August, 13 September, 18 October, 15 November, all 7-9pm
Weekly Peer Support Group:
- Common Ground Community Centre, Woodstock Rd/Machon Bank, Sheffield S7 1GR
All welcome. Meetings held on Wednesdays during term time, at 11.15am-12.45pm.
Information sessions are being offered in community venues across the city. Topics include: introduction to autism, autism and anxiety, advocating for your child, exploring sensory needs, and many more. Places can be booked via the Events section of our website. If there are other topics you would like to know more about, please let us know.
You must be a member to attend these sessions. If you are not yet a member, you can complete a membership form here.
Peer Support publicity materials
Download a poster | Download a postcard | Download a leaflet