Education is one of our key priorities. Our parent representatives sit on several strategic groups to improve educational provision for children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Our articles

  • The MyPlan: This article explains what a MyPlan is, and how it is used to support pupils with special educational needs.
  • Transferring from a statement to an EHC plan: Local authorities must replace all statements of SEN with Education Health and Care (EHC) plans by April 2018. We explain how the conversion process works in Sheffield, and what parents can do to prepare.
  • School exclusions: An overview of different types of exclusions, how to prevent them, what the law says, and helpful organisations.
  • Anxiety and school attendance issues: Stuart Williams, Sheffield’s Principal Educational Psychologist, gives advice for parents whose children are becoming school refusers due to anxiety.
  • Access arrangements: This article explains how students with SEND can get extra help in public exams (SATS and GCSEs), and how you apply for it.

Links and downloads

  • Special Educational Needs Support in School (SPCF, 2017): This booklet is for parent of pupils with SEN who attend a mainstream school in Sheffield. It explains how schools identify and support pupils with SEN, what a MyPlan is, how the EHC needs assessment process works, and what parents can do if they encounter difficulties.
  • Personal Budgets: This article on the Local Offer website explains what a Personal Budget for an EHC plan is, how to request one, and the different ways of delivering it.
  • The Sheffield Support Grid: This is a locally developed tool which is intended to help schools allocate support to children with SEN in a fair, consistent and transparent way.
  • The SEND Code of Practice 2015: The SEN Code of Practice is based on the legal framework for special educational needs. It gives practical guidance to schools, nurseries, colleges, Local Authorities, Social Services Departments and Health Authorities on how to fulfil their responsibilities under the legal framework.

Sources of information, advice and support

  • Sheffield SEN Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIAS):  Formerly known as Parent Partnership. Provides free. impartial and confidential information, advice and support to parents/carers of children and young people (0-25) with disabilities and special educational needs in relation to education, health and social care services, disability benefits, support groups and leisure opportunities.
  • Core Assets: A private company which has been commissioned to provide free and independent information and support to families in relation to EHC plans.
  • IPSEA: IPSEA is a national charity providing free legally based advice to families who have children with special educational needs.