Short Break Grant scheme 2020/21 now open

15th June 2020

TAGS grant, short break, short break grant, short breaks

  • Sheffield City Council is now accepting applications for the Short Break Grant. The purpose of the grant is to give parent carers a break from their additional caring responsibilities. You can apply for up to £400 per family.

    The deadline for applications is 31 January 2021, and the activity must have taken place and the grant must be spent before 31 March 2021.

    Who can apply?

    You can apply if you meet all of the following criteria:

    • Your child has a disability and receives a high rate component of DLA  or an enhanced rate component of PIP*;
    • Your child is under 18 years of age;
    • You are in receipt of means-tested benefits OR your family household income** is less than £21,000 a year;
    • You do NOT already receive a short break service (e.g. SNIPS club or befriending, overnight respite) or direct payment for this child.

    *If your child does not receive high rate DLA or enhanced rate PIP you can still apply, but you will need a relevant professional who knows your child and your family to complete and sign an “Impact Information Form” which explains your child’s disability and how this impacts on your whole family.

    **Your household income consists of the income from everyone, aged 18 and over, who lives in the household, and includes Child Tax Credits. DLA and PIP do not count as part of your household income.

    A note about coronavirus: Most short break services are currently closed due to coronavirus. Sheffield City Council says they are working hard to find a safe way to reopen them when government guidance allows. You can choose to change from your usual service to the Short Break Grant (provided you meet the qualifying criteria outlined above). If you get the grant, you won’t be able to apply for a short break service for 12 months.
    You could also consider changing from a short break service to a direct payment (you would still not be eligible for the Short Break Grant in this case). It is worth bearing in mind that, due to coronavirus, it is possible to use direct payments to pay a family member to provide care for your child. More information about direct payments during coronavirus

    How to apply

    If you believe you are eligible, then your first step is to complete a Household Income Assessment by calling 0114 273 4567 (choose option 4, then option 6).

    When you receive confirmation that you are eligible to apply for the grant, download the application form and guidance notes from the council website.

    Do not send in an application until you have completed the Household Income Assessment.

    More information

    If you have any queries or need help to apply, please email or call 0114 273 6032.

    Please note: Sheffield Parent Carer Forum have submitted a number of questions to Sheffield City Council regarding the process of switching from a short break service to the Short Break Grant, and back again. We have also asked for clarification about the process for accessing loans of laptops, tablets and 4G hotspots via the government scheme that is mentioned in the guidance notes for the grant. We will update this article once we receive a reply.

  • Related Articles